Heat stroke occurs when the body becomes dehydrated and is unable to cool itself enough to maintain a healthy temperature. If left untreated, this can lead to heatstroke, which is a life-threatening medical emergency.
Who at risk of heatstroke:
Anyone can suffer from heatstroke, but those most at risk are:
- People over 65 years, particularly those living alone or without air conditioning
- Babies and young children
- Pregnant and nursing mothers
- People who have existing medical conditions, especially with heart disease, high blood pressure or lung disease
- People on medications for mental illness.
Causes of heat stroke
Dehydration – to keep healthy, our body temperature needs to stay around 37°C. The body cools itself by sweating, which normally accounts for 70 to 80 per cent of the body’s heat loss. If a person becomes dehydrated, they don’t sweat as much and their body temperature keeps rising. Dehydration may happen after strenuous exercise (especially in hot weather), severe diarrhoea or vomiting, drinking too much alcohol, taking certain medications (for example, diuretics) and not drinking enough water.
Lack of airflow – working in hot, poorly ventilated or confined areas.
Sun exposure – especially on hot days, between 11am and 3pm.
Hot and crowded conditions – people attending large events (concerts, dance parties or sporting events) in hot or crowded conditions may also experience heat stress that can result in illness.
Bushfires – exposure to radiant heat from bushfires can cause rapid dehydration and heat-related illness. Bushfires usually occur when the temperature is high, which adds to the risk.
Some drugs, such as ecstasy and speed, also raise the body’s temperature, which can lead to heat stress.
- High body temperature.A body temperature of 104 F (40 C) or higher is the main sign of heatstroke. Homeopathy remedies – Belladona-200, Veratrum viridi-200.
- Altered mental state or behavior.Confusion, agitation, slurred speech, irritability, delirium can all result from heatstroke. Homeopathy remedies -Gelsemium-200, Belladona-200, Lachesis-200
- Alteration in sweating.In heatstroke brought on by hot weather, your skin will feel hot and dry to the touch. However, in heatstroke brought on by strenuous exercise, your skin may feel moist.- Homeopathy remedies – belladonna-200, veratrum viride-200, natrum carb-200
- Nausea and vomiting.Homeopathy remedies – Antim crude-200,
- Flushed skin.Your skin may turn red as your body temperature increases. Homeopathy remedies- Belladona-200, Veratrum viridi-200, Glonine-200
- Rapid breathing.Your breathing may become rapid and shallow. Homeopathy remedies – Veratrum viridi-200, Glonine-200, Natrum carb-200,
- Heart rate increases.Your pulse may significantly increase because heat stress places a tremendous burden on your heart to help cool your body. Homeopathy remedies -Glonine-200, veratrum viridi-200, Gelsemium-200
- – Homeopathy remedies – Belladona-200, Natrum Carb-200, Glonine-200, Gelsemium-200, Lachesis-200
Major homeopathy remedies with their symptoms for Sun stroke
- Belladona-200 – Flushed red face, throbbing headache, high rise of temperature, confused state of mind
- Natrum Carb-200– Heat exhaustion. Great weakness, headache of back portion, mental confuseness after exposure to heat wave or sunstroke.
- Glonine-200 – Throbbing headache, bursting headache, palpitation from heat wave or sunstroke
- Antim crude-200– weakness, exhaustion, nausea, vomiting, hoarseness of voice, cough from heat wave or sunstroke
- Lachesis-200 – headache of tightness of head especially worse at night makes the person wakes up from headache, heat flushes on face ; depression, talkativeness from heat wave or sunstroke
- Gelsemium-200– depression , fear of something will happen, weakness and trembline, headache starts from back portion of head from heat wave or sunstroke
- Veratrum viridi-200 – flushed face, rapid heart beat, increased pulse rate, heaviness of head , high fever, jerking of body from heat wave or sunstroke
- Cantharis-Q – reddish patches from sun heat with burning pain. Apply cantaris-Q diluting with 4 times chilled water.
- Cuprum met-200 – muscles cramping from heavy sweating or sun heat
Prevention for HEAT STROKE –
Glonine – 200 and Natrum carb-200 – Before travelling in summer heat – take these two homeopathic medicine every 10 minutes interval 2 doses from each one.
Besides that –
- You should cover your body with full sleeves shirt and full pant. Avoid black color cloths.
- Cover your whole head with cap or wet towel.
- Put sun glass when going outside.
- Take juicy foods. Dahi pakhal is the best food in summer season
- Drink sufficient water before going to anywhere in the peak heat time. Drink lassi or ORS fluid if available during travelling.
- Drink plenty of water or other cool, non-alcoholic fluids even if you’re not thirsty (check with your doctor if you are on limited fluids or fluid pills.) Avoid drinking extremely cold liquids as they can cause stomach cramps.
- Carry water bottle always with you.
- Never use any sort of tobacco while going in day time
- Try to avoid going outside from 11 to 3 pm